- The president has decided to press the “Undo Java” button - removing Java... forever.
- Open GL port of SWT
- JDK 8 almost feature complete
- Oracle discontinues “free” JDK TimeZone updates - tzupdater still available to paid up licenses, but still shipped for free in the JDK, which now gets regular 4 monthly updates. Not sure I ever manually used tzupdater either...
- Open source git server for windows: Bonobo - uses GitSharp - I think I’d still just run GitBlit tho.
- Spring 4.0m1 and 3.2.3
- Spring Tool Suite and Groovy/Grails Tool Suite 3.3.0.M2 RELEASED
- HalBuilder 2.0.2 maintenance release, allows for _ prefix properties, restructuring work for 2.1.x ongoing - not split into 3-4 more artifacts.
- Kotlin M5.3 - delegated properties looks quite cool and powerful, yet simplistic to reason about.
- Scala 2.10.2 released - second maintenance release for the 2.10 series, 2.11m1 was also recently released.
- Slick 1.0.1 released
- Apache Maven 3.1-alpha-1 released - go test this sucker on your esoteric plugin configurations.
- Latest release of OWL API for OWL Web Ontologies released (3.4.4)
- Everyone wants to run PHP on their VM and XP Framework is a great library to help you do it. Release 5.9.0 this week.
- Moskito hit its 2.3.5 release this week.
- OSGI moves to the cloud. Everyone quake as further complexity is introduced.
Sunday, June 9, 2013
Monday, June 3, 2013
- VertX 2.0 not far away now, remains a fast option for deployment
- JDK 7 and 8 to get RetinaTM support in next update
- JDK8 b91 didn’t solve my method handle issue, which has now been reported upstream.
- Interesting research with release of Groovy 2.1.4
- JSR-352 RI - Batch Applications for the Java Platform 1.0 release, available in maven central ( part of EE 7 I believe )
- Semantic Merge gets Java support
- Apache Archiva 1.4 M4 released
Maven Plugin of the Week - Maven License Plugin
- Allows you to check all your source files have licenses in the right format
- You can set it to prevent release if they don’t
- You can tell it to add the necessary formatting
Sunday, May 26, 2013
- Not really “new”, but I rediscovered the fact that since Git 1.8.2, that submodules now support following a branch rather than a fixed commit SHA1 - this actually makes them somewhat usable.
- JDK8 Build 91 available - Sadly, this didn't fix my method handle issue.
- Atlassian JIRA 6 was released - teases with Bamboo 5 updates
- Yourkit Profiler 2013 EAP launched, personal licences only US$99 until June 4, 2013.
- Spring 4 announced, indicates support for JSE8 and Groovy 2 as the first class language, pushing Groovy 2 bigtime.
- Action Launcher Pro 1.7 for Android was released - best launcher ever. Adds support for icon packs and just makes it that bit more... awesome.
- Big changes for Redline Smalltalk - now scans classpath for .st files, so works nicely with artifacts/jar files etc. etc.
- Google Code removes file downloads
Maven - Spotlight Plugin of the Week
- Apache Maven 3.1-alpha-1 available for testing/voting. Release Notes.
- Maven ShadePlugin, version 2,1 supporting the above 3.1 release
- Open Web Beans 1.2
- Apache Ant 1.9.1
- Apache Wicket 6.8
- Commons-Logging 1.1.3 (please still remove it from your archives)
- Subversion 1.8-rc2
- JSPWiki incubating 2.9.1
- MD did a short clojure-maven-plugin history presentation at the 2nd Auckland Clojure Meetup, this seems to have awaked the bug reporters...
- Released 1.3.16 and then followed up with 1.3.17 of the clojure-maven-plugin
- Scala 2.10.2-RC1 now available
- dispatch 0.10.1 released, HTTP client library
- Scala on Android - new book from Lean Pub, being written by Geoffroy Couprie (@gcouprie)
Monday, May 20, 2013
- JDK 8 build b90 - closures work well on my Mac, except for when using the method handler reference i.e. Integer::parseInt
- TestNG 6.8.5 released, along with new Eclipse plugin
- Gerrit 2.5.4 released, small security upgrade, 2.6rc3 out, along with 2.7rc1 ( two RC’s out concurrently is odd, I knew the Doctor crossing his timelines would have repercussions ).
- OSDC NZ2013 website now live - now sure when that actually happened. If there was ever a developer focused conference in NZ to go to - I think this would be the more appropriate.
- JavaFX Gradle Plugin 0.3
- IntelliJ IDEA 13 EAP opened
- Introducing Android Studio - new IntelliJ IDEA based IDE for Android, wither Eclipse?
- New shiny Google+
- Google Cloud APIs
- Announces new REST plans for 2.3 - chooses Spring HATEOS
- release-pom plugin
- License Maven Plugin 1.5
- Maven Dependency Plugin 2.8 Released
- Maven Site Plugin 3.3 Released
- Maven Project Info Reports Plugin version 2.7 Released
- GString Maven Plugin - as heard on the last IA - Richard loves his gstrings.
- getclojure.org - search for usages of function compositions
- Grojure 0.7 - Groovy like syntax for Clojure
- Screencast on using Clojure + Sublime Text
- Scalabitz launched this week - new news site collating everything Scala orientated.
- Scalabitz led me to g8ling - a website cataloging giter8 templates.
- Giter8 itself is a Scala based project templating tool, similar to maven archetypes but project/language independent (tho mostly used by scala), template projects are stored on github.
Next Codelounge: Docker
Sunday, May 12, 2013
- JavaBlogs.com closed by Atlassian.
- Latest Dart VM beats Java 64 bit VM in Delta Blue Benchmark
- Java version number scheme officially updated to make managing all these security fixes easier
- Newly minted just in time for more unmaintainable build messes: Gradle 1.6? Progress being made on Android build system, facebook builds their own Buck
- IntelliJ IDEA 12.1.3 - moar upgrades!
- YourKit Java Profiler 12.0.5
- Typesafe release Typesafe Activator- part of the Typesafe Platform
- JaCoCoverage: java 7 code coverage for Netbeans
- Before Google I/O, Square announce Seven Days of Open Source and release (thus far) - OkHttp, Dagger, MimeCraft, ProtoParser, JavaWriter, Roboelectric 2.0, Intellij Plugins - a lot focused around Android.
- Java gets a REPL - scary, and awesome, but very, very scary.
- Sonar Groovy
- Cassaforte - Client client API for Apache Cassandra 1.2+
- Apache Camel 2.11 - new Camel CMIS module for integration with CMS systems, new camel-couchdb, camel-elasticsearch modules.
- Three major defects found in Tomcat (groan, yes again) - Chunked transfer encoding extension size is not limited, Session fixation with FORM authenticator, Request mix-up if AsyncListener method throws RuntimeException. Tomcat 6.0.37 released. 7. something too.
- Apache Curator 2.0.0-incubator - A ZooKeeper Keeper - utils making ZooKeeper easier to use.
- Apache Gora 0.3 - in memory and persistence for Big Data for using Hadoop
- Apache HttpComponents HttpCore 4.3-beta2
- Apache Buildr 1.4.12
- Apache Giraph 1.0 - first release out of incubation - Apache Giraph is an scalable and distributed iterative graph processing system that is inspired by BSP (bulk synchronous parallel) and Google's Pregel. Giraph distinguishes itself from those projects by being open-source, running on Hadoop infrastructure, and going beyond the Pregel model with features such as master computation, sharded aggregators, out-of-core support, no single point of failure design, and more.
- Lucene and Solar 4.3
- Commons Codec 1.8
- Apache Marmotta 3.0 - incubating - Apache Marmotta is an extensible and modular implementation of a Linked Data Platform and contains a server component as well as many useful libraries for accessing Linked Data resources. Apache Marmotta is a continuation of the Linked Media Framework (LMF) originally developed by Salzburg Research, but considerably improved with respect to modularity, reliability, performance and also licensing. Since the last LMF release was the 2.x series, Apache Marmotta starts with the version number 3.0.0-incubating.
- Open JPA 2.2.2
- Greg’s favourite NoSQL database gets incremental backup
Sunday, April 28, 2013
Experimenting with the audio recording here - not sure I like it, but I'm not going to re-record ;p
- Last week we mentioned 7u21, well there’s already a security hole :(
- Next release to possibly be 7u40, to give room for many more security updates
- Java 8 officially delayed till 2014/03/18
- IntelliJ IDEA 12.1.2
- Hibernate 4.2.1, 4.1.12 - so much for the final the 4.1.x series.
- Gradle Golo Plugin
- Apache TomEE 1.5.2
- Big Faceless PDF Library 2.13.1
- DocBook Doclet 6.1.0-644
- XWiki 5.0-rc-1
- Jackson 2.2.0
- Unirest - new multi-language REST client API library
- Clahub - Contributor Licence Agreements for Github
- Web Performance Specs Round 3
- Facebook open sources it’s Buck build tool for Android/Java
- Scala.Rx 0.1 on maven central - reactive API for Scala
- Immutant 0.10.0 released - application server for Clojure, based on JBoss AS7
Sunday, April 21, 2013
- Java 7u21, 5 & 6 also got new versions, despite being out of support
- New Server JRE which removes all Applet and jfx stuff
- Slow Train Coming - Java 8 delayed
- JDK 8 Javadoc gets a light tweaking for method listings
- Java 8 Optional
- Virgil is a new Function/OO hybrid language for the JVM and native platforms. PLDI paper.
- TeamCity 7.1.5
- IntelliJ 12.1.2 EAP builds already showing up
- NetRexx 3.02RC - The Original JVM Scripting Language returns
- Sneaky peek at Redline Smalltalk plugin for IntelliJ IDEA
- JBoss Application Server renamed to WildFly
- CodeMania 2013 talks appearing on YouTube Channel
- GVM 1.0 released
- OpenJPA 1.2.3
- Wicket 6.7
- Derby 10.10.1.1
- OpenNLP 1.5.3
- MRUnit 1.0.0
- Bloodhound 0.5.3
Sunday, April 14, 2013
- IntelliJ IDEA 12.1.1 available
- JavaZ - new functional patterns library for Java - looks interesting, but UGLY
- Lambda Ladies - Recently started group to promote functional programming to women in tech
- Sonatype’s gateway to Central upgraded to Nexus 2.4 - what version is your nexus?
- JMS2, Bean Validation 1.1, JBatch, JSON-P go final
- Resteasy 3.0-beta-4 and 2.3.6.Final Released
- Redline-RPM - Native Java RPM generation - no need for native rpm-tools install
- cucumber-testng-factory 1.0.1 released.
- funKTionale 0.1.5 is ready
- Atomic Scala print book now available
- ClojureWerkz Money 1.2.0 - wrapper library for Joda Money
- Running and debugging Clojure with IntelliJ IDEA
- lein-thriftc - Apache Thrift plugin for Leiningen
- 2.1.3 available
- HttpClient 4.2.4 released
- Maven Compiler 3.1 released
- Maven Surefire 2.14.1
- Maven Shared Utils 0.4
- Wink 1.3.0 - Apache Wink is a simple yet solid framework for building RESTful Web services. It is comprised of a Server module and a Client module for developing and consuming RESTful Web services
- Apache PDF Box 1.8.1
- Apache Wookie 0.14 - Apache Wookie is a Java server application that allows you to upload and deploy widgets for your applications; widgets can not only include all the usual kinds of mini-applications, badges, and gadgets, but also fully-collaborative applications such as chats, quizzes, and games. Wookie is based on the W3C Widgets specification, but widgets can also be included that use extended APIs such as Google Wave Gadgets and OpenSocial
- Apache CouchDB 1.3.0
- Apache Struts 1 end of life - going to the Attic
- Apache cTAKES becomes a top level project: (clinical Text Analysis and Knowledge Extraction System) is an Open Source natural language processing system for information extraction from electronic medical record clinical free-text. Widely used in production by numerous organisations across the healthcare sector, cTAKES was started in 2006 by a team of physicians, computer scientists and software engineers at Mayo Clinic, and was submitted to the Apache Incubator in June 2012
- Pig 0.11.1
- Apache Bloodhound 0.5.2 is a tool to track progress and defects in software products. Sits on Trac.
- The Apache Accumulo 1.4.3 - sorted, distributed key/value store is a robust,scalable, high performance data storage system that features cell-based access control and customizable server-side processing. It is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.
- Apache Syncope 1.0.7 is an Open Source system for managing digital identities in enterprise environments, implemented in JEE technology Apache Commons-FileUpload 1.3 - bug fixes, enhancements, drops pre 1.5 support
- Apache Rave 0.20.2 is a new web and social mashup engine. It provides an out-of-the-box, as well as extendible, lightweight Java platform to host, serve and manage OpenSocial, W3C and other web widgets.
Monday, April 8, 2013
- IntelliJ IDEA 12.1
- Kotlin Milestone 5.2
- Sonar goes 3.5.1
- Concordion moved to Github + Gradle
- Gradle 1.5
- MAJOR PostgreSQL Security Update
- Scridb reveals it was hacked this week, says < 1% of users of passworks compromised
- PicketLink 3.0 Alpha1 - CDI based security framework for Java EE from JBoss, essentially the successor to Seam Security
- Apache Maven 3.1alpha1 staged ** Release notes ** Staging repository ** Staged distribution
- maven-release-plugin 2.4.1 release - restores git support!
- Hibernate 4.2.0.Final / 4.1.11.Final - this is also the final release for the 4.1.x series.
- Bintray - Github For Binaries
- Bootstrap Rich Text Editor
- Website Walkthroughs for Documentation - intro.js and chardin.js
- Apple’s “Slide to Unlock” patent ruled invalid
- VertX Golo
- Play 2.1.1
- unfiltered 0.6.8
- Grizzly 2.3+SPDY/3
- Framework performance round 2 results
- mimr - clojure based rule engine
- FW/1 - Framework One: Clojure MVC for CFML) moves to new Github Organisation
- Functional Design Patterns - talk by Stuart Sierra from Strange Loop
Theme music "Emotional Upgrade" by John Zealey.